Saturday, June 30, 2007

Halfway Through

I won't bore anyone with needless detail about my relatively boring life. Suffice to say I've been busy enough I didn't have the blogging spirit in me. But, I still like baseball and I still pay close attention to it.

So here we go.

Sunday, tomorrow July 1st we get to hear the final All Star tally. It's already been said that a record number of votes this year. Wether that's because more fans are voting or the fans that vote took advantage of the very trusting All Star Ballet (all ya needed was a different email, no confirmation or anything) that let you vote 25 times, is a debate.

Myself; I'm a National League sort of guy, I think the pitcher should hit ( no offense to the slowed up, older gentlemen who typically D.H.). My boys are in their new Sedona Red and they are looking good this year. The Dbacks are holding their own in the tightest division in baseball. The Padres and Dodgers have had better seasons coming into '07, which leads to them being hailed as the top contenders.

Either way you want to argue the division one thing is undebatable: every team in baseball has players that should be present at an event that boasts to have gathered the collected best of the best. And in the Diamondbacks case, it would be Eric Byrnes and Orlando Hudson (more on that in part II, to be written after the All Star announcement--hopefully not with bitter anger!)

I voted at least 300 times (unless you are some sort of official all star ballet counter, in which case--dude, I'm kidding!) which means I had to somehow enter in 12 emails. Once your initial votes were in ( you could skip either league if you didn't want to vote for their players) it was a matter of entering in a validation code, clicking in this order:

VOTE NOW!

PROCEDE TO THE NATIONAL LEAGUE!

REGISTER MY VOTE!

At which point you are thanked for voting and presented with a link that said:

VOTE AGAIN!

I got my wife to vote 75 times, and a handful of coworkers to vote their 25 times my way (I put in the votes and they clicked away).

I'm not proud, but if it were a functional event; I wouldn't have to threaten my friends and loved ones to do what I say. I think the All Star Game needs to take a close look at how the players for the teams are assembled.

No comments: